Thursday, January 21, 2010

Creative leftovers

Remember the Crispy Kale & Tofu Salad that I mentioned last post? It's very tasty! Easy to make, filling, and good for you. Even my kids liked it.

I took the leftovers, poured miso soup base over it, and ate 2 bowls for lunch yesterday. I will probably do the same today. Do you even know how easy miso soup base is? I am ashamed to say that I never really looked into making miso soup until recently. Now I feel like a fool for not having this in my repertoire all along.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Easy Miso Soup Base

3 cups water
1 tsp dashi
2 T miso

Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in dashi. Simmer one minute. Stir in miso. Remove from heat.
Important; do not boil the soup after miso has been added.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously. That's it. Then you're free to add whatever you want; tofu, kombu, veggies, egg, rice, noodles, chicken, the possibilities are near endless. Japanese Food Report has a fantastic post about miso soup here.

It's nice to know that which will not make a good burrito* could possibly make a tasty soup.



*Holly's Leftover Rule #1; Everything solid (and non-pasta) is a potential burrito filling.




2 comments:

my3ninjas said...

We are like twins. I have been dreaming of miso soup and was making my grocery list today and put miso down, thinking that I do not have enough miso in my life. *sigh*

Holly said...

I think I'm going to make more soup for lunch today. I kind of bought a big bag of miso, and it stares me down every time I open my fridge.

I'm also, at some point, going to attempt to make that carrot dressing you get on iceberg lettuce at sushi places. Soooo goood.